This page contains three hypnosis tests that are available for use by therapists.
To receive the password, you can send an email including your address for verification.
Please note: The Harvard and Stanford Scales are available here only in German. The DER is available in both German and English.
Harvard Group Scale of Hypnotic Susceptibility, Form A
The Harvard Group Scale of Hypnotic Susceptibility: Form A (HGSHS:A) 1) as well as the Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale: Form C (SHSS:C) 2) are both American ‘behavioristic’ hypnosis tests. Each consists of twelve test items. Subject performance on each test item is evaluated on the basis of a corresponding reaction that is outwardly observable (e.g. the movement corresponding to a posthypnotic suggestion is carried out). Both tests were translated by us into German, and the psychometric parameters were determined by means of calibration tests. Both tests have shown considerable functionality for research purposes in Germany as well.
For the HGSHS:A, which can be utilized as a group test, both the text of the test and the score sheet are available here as pdf.files, as is an article 3) on the psychometric characteristics of the tests in comparison with the American and Canadian norms for the HGSHS:A. These files can be downloaded here, along with the recorded audio version of the text (.mp3), which can also be played directly from this page.
Testtext HGSHS:A (only german)
Auswertung HGSHS:A (only german)
MP3 HGSHS:A (only german)
Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale, Form C
For the SHSS:C, a test for individuals only, both the test text and the score sheet are available as pdf.files, along with an article 4) on the psychometric characteristics of the test.
Artikel SHSS:C (only german)
Testtext SHSS:C (only german)
Auswertung SHSS:C (only german)
Determination of Emotional Resource Potentials
Along with the two tests above, another test developed by us for clinical research (DER – Determination of Emotional Resource Potentials) 5) is available here. The test consists of 6 items that present an emotional experience. The response intensity felt by the subject can be registered on the given scale. Again, the test text and score sheet are available as pdf.files, and the recorded audio version is available for listening or download as an mp3.
Artikel DER (only german)
- Shor, R.E. & Orne, E.C. (1962): Harvard Group Scale of Hypnotic Susceptibility: Form A. Palo Alto, Calif.: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Weitzenhoffer, A.M. & Hilgard, E.R. (1962). Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale, Form C. Palo Alto, Calif.: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Bongartz, W. (1985). German norms for the Harvard Group Scale of Hypnotic Susceptibility: Form A. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 33, 131-139.
- Bongartz, W. ( 2000). Deutsche Normen für die Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale: Form C (SHSS:C). Experimentelle und Klinische Hypnose, 16(2), 123-133.
- Schmitt, T. & Bongartz, W. Bestimmung des emotionalen Ressourcenpotentials (BER): Ein Hypnosetest für die klinische Forschung (in Vorbereitung)
- Wolf, M. & Bongartz, W. (2009). Die “Bestimmung des emotionalen Ressourcenpotenzilas (BER)” - Psychometrische Überprüfung eines Tests zur Erfassung individueller emotionaler Erfahrungsmöglichkeiten. Psychotherapie.Psychosomatik. Medizinische Psychologie. 59, 5-13.